Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A "real" Christian

It's astonishing how little the word "Christian" means. I'm almost ashamed to use it to define myself anymore. Maybe I should start introducing myself as a "real" Christian, but that would require too much explanation I suppose.

You see, so many claim a belief in God and Jesus and say "he died for my sins", and amen, but don't want to change anything about themselves. People do not want to face the fact of sin , real sin that is plaguing their life; hiding behind the convenient "American dream" . Selfishness, greediness, covetousness and lusts of the heart are running rampant through American churches, and through the hearts of so many "Christians".

I myself only recently was truly convicted of my serious heart issues. The greed I found lurking behind my proclaimed "needs" was terrifying. I was completely humbled by what I found the Bible to say about the love of money.
But it's not just that issue which is being ignored. So many commandments in the Bible are simply turned a blind eye toand explained away by "Christians" hoping to live the life they want as good American citizens.
Perhaps I've gotten a bit jaded by taking off the rose colored glasses I'd been wearing too long, but by the grace of God I see things so clearly now. I'm constantly reading a familiar passage and saying "OH! Now I get it!", and it seems so simple.

To me, the term Christian means you've got your "golden ticket" into heaven. Somewhere along the way you prayed and asked Jesus into your heart. The difference is a matter of life and death. That prayer doesn't mean much if it isn't accompanied by a sacrifice of your life. If living the same life of an unbeliever, minus the "big" sins is comfortable to you, you're probably not a "real" Christian. I was this so called quasi-Christian for a long long time. But God saved me from that and He has taken hold of my life.

I hate feeling so skeptical of everyone who claims to be a Christian.
From now on I think I'll just go with, 'a disciple of Christ' or my favorite, 'a servant to the king'. It would be interesting to see the looks I get from such bold claims-ones I can make assured and confident of in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment