Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A full heart-heartfull

God speaks to me. A few years ago a comment like this would have made me cringe-even as a believer.
You see, I would believe that people could "hear" the voice of God through scripture, or even "hear" answers to prayers based on what ones He answered (a.k.a. what ones people got their way in).

But to say that God spoke to someone would be a bit fanatical. One thing I'm learning is that I am my own definition of fanatical! Things I used to think were a bit extreme are now my way of life.

So if it makes me fanatical to say I've heard the voice of God-then so be it. But there is no other explanation for it. The first time I heard it I confused it with a "good idea" I had. Imagine that!
Confusing God with me! But as I've come to know Him better, I can now hear Him through all the other noise that floats in my head and my heart.

He finds me when I'm alone (walking dogs) and places things on my heart that can only be attributed to Him. Ideas that are so beyond anything I could have thought up. Truths that once bewildered me are suddenly clear.

Without my glasses or contacts I am blind. From bed one night I called to my cat Scotchy. He's a long haired tan colored cat. I didn't know what John was laughing about till I put my glasses on and realized I was calling to a paper bag.

Without Christ I am blind. I reach for the wrong things, I walk into walls, I can not live without Him. I can not go a day without Him.
My heart is so full of the truths and wonders God is showing me. I feel like I could burst!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard it described as

    "that voice that you do not hear, but speaks to your heart"

    I think that is decent, although not perfect, description of how God speaks to us.

    Satan, the great deceiver, is a strong enemy. He spreads lies among Christians that it is okay to "believe in Jesus" but not to become "fanatical", "religious" "a jesus freak", "so heavenly minded, you're no earthly good". After all, you wouldn't want people not to like you or to think you were odd. I think Satan even tells us that God would want us to be liked, so anything "fanatical"(like God speaking to you) must not be of God or even real.

    But, Jesus tells us just the opposite.

    John 15:18-19
    "If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.


    BTW, Great Post!

    ReplyDelete