Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Encouragement

In these past few months I have grown increasingly discouraged. The more I study the Bible and read, the more I see sin and the world all around me. It's a stark contrast between things from above and things contrary to Him and although I used to see many more things as 'gray areas' I'm seeing more clearly the reality of it all. Selfishness and laziness are rebellion against the Spirit in that these things do not advance His work.
The passage in Matthew 9:35 sums it up my feelings completely, and Jesus of course hits the nail right on the head. "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field."

Couple things, first he chose an illustration that fits. Bringing others to Christ is work. It can require careful planning, diligence and dedication. Farmers work hard from morning till night. And perhaps that is why Jesus picks this picture, as a follower of Him, there is work to be done. But, not many will do it.

And that is exactly why we are encouraged here to pray for more workers.
And the very end of this passage is a bit of encouragement for me. It's all His. Sometimes I feel like my friends and family are mine for the winning over to Christ. But in reality-they are all part of His harvest. If they will not hear, it is not for me to worry. But this does not give me a justification to sit back, on the contrary-I, as a servant and worker, need to pray for others to work along side of me.

Another verse I just came upon today really helped put things in perspective. It's 1 Corinthians 15:58 "Therefore, my dear brothers (that's me!), stand firm. Let nothing move you (not even disappointment). Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."

I have made the mistake of talking with other sinners of my despair about the situation I see. And not once yet has someone given a bit of encouragement like Paul does in this verse. I've heard it all from shooing my observances away as if they are not valid (even though our own Lord acknowledges them?), to pointing to differences among gifts (although this isn't really relevant) and even to changing the subject quickly so that a response doesn't even have to be thought up.

What I need to remember is first to pray for more help when I feel overwhelmed or even alone in my endeavors. Secondly to make sure I'm working my hardest and best for the Lord. Not sitting lazily around watching the wind blow (or all my favorite episodes of TV), and lastly that God sees my heart and He is glad with me. My labor is not in vain simply because it is for him. I'm not working for man's approval or for money or other gain, it is for Him, that others may see His glory and come to know Him for themselves.

I'm so glad that I read this verse today-I actually wanted to read through 2 Corinthians but started in the first one by mistake and decided to go for it anyways, thankful I did. God makes no mistakes.

1 comment:

  1. "What I need to remember is first to pray for more help when I feel overwhelmed or even alone in my endeavors. Secondly to make sure I'm working my hardest and best for the Lord."

    Awesome.

    In my Sunday School class this week we focused on

    "Philippians 4:10-13
    I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

    We went deeper into how Paul was dealing with loneliness in these verses. He had poured out his heart and strength into the Philippians and they had stopped corresponding with him. The awesome thing is that he realized that he is content no matter what others around him are doing.
    "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances"
    and he is only able to do this
    "through him who gives me strength"

    It seems through your words that you have found the same truth.

    ReplyDelete